Monday, October 4, 2010

Yes you can!!!

God has great plans for us, plans for abundant life, indescribable joy, peace beyond understanding, and complete freedom. Can we live that kind of life?

YES, WE CAN. We can do it, because God is able. Paul said that our God is able to do superabundantly all that we ask or think, according to the power that is at work within us. God is able. What does it mean to be able? He has the capability to do a work in us. He has the tools, the power, the wisdom, the knowledge…He has everything that it takes. Our part is to believe. I am not asking you to believe in yourself, or in some vague “power of the universe” I am asking you to believe in the God who is able. You have to put your faith in the right person.

My friend Jose is able to fix cars and trucks. He has the tools, the wisdom, and the strength to do it. If I have a car that needs to be fixed, I am not going to ask Les to fix it, because he doesn’t have the tools, the wisdom, or the strength to do it. I have to ask the right person.

God is able to do what we need. God is able to do a work that is exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think. He is able to do even more than we have the nerve to ask. He is able to do even more than we can imagine. We can because God can, and He is at work within us.

Phil 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

God is able. God is at work. God will complete the work. He does not plan to do a partial work in us. If you have come to believe in Jesus, and have put your faith in Him and given your life to Him, then He has begun a work in you. He doesn’t stop. You may stop your progress for a time, but He does not stop. He does not give up. God never says, “You know what, this is harder than I thought it would be. I did not know she was going to be this stubborn. This is just too hard, I give up.” NO. We do that. God does not. He will never give up. He has the power, the ability, and the determination to do His great work in us.

What is the work that He is doing?

2 Cor 3:17-18 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

We are being transformed into the image of Christ. Think for a minute; what will it look like to be transformed into the image of Christ? I think John nailed it when he said we don’t know exactly what that will look like. He said “we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him.”

We are being transformed, changed, to look like Jesus. That is a big change, and we cannot fully grasp what it will look like.

I used to want to become my friend Jean. Jean is the sweetest person in the world. I know I don’t know everyone in the world, but I am sure there is no one sweeter than she is. So, that is the image I had in my mind that I wanted to be. I wanted to be transformed to be like Jean. That is not what God has in mind for me. He is transforming me into a person who reflects Christ. I will still be me, but more free, more whole. Paul speaks in Galatians about the work that the Spirit of God does, and what it looks like; (Gal 5:22)love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; So, when I am transformed, I will still be me; I will be enthusiastic, zealous, passionate, laughing, fun-loving; but with the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control;

Imagine the you you are, the you you were born to be, but whole, free; without fear, anger, hurt, worry, depression, bitterness, moodiness, addictions, lust, temper…That is what God has planned for you, and He is more than able to do it!

No comments: