Friday, November 26, 2010

“God’s Word is True”

It is the day after Thanksgiving. It has been a long day, and I am feeling pretty introspective, just thinking about things.

I am thinking about Thanksgiving. I really like that we have a holiday that is specifically for expressing gratitude.

I am thinking about all the that I am thankful for.

I am thinking about something that I had the honor to witness recently. 

Last week, we had our annual Thanksgiving Dinner at Cottonwood.  Levi and Kasha Lewis were at the dinner, and had been asked to share a short testimony. Levi and Kasha are 30 years old, parents of a two year old son and infant daughter. Just 4 weeks ago, Levi went to the hospital with a severe headache and found out that he had a tumor, which tests showed was cancer. The tumor was removed, but further testing showed that the cancer was melanoma, and the doctors have said that the melanoma absolutely will come back. Everyone who has had melanoma in the brain has had it return. Levi is considering possible treatments, but the prognosis is bad. 

So, last week the whole church family was moved just to see Levi and Kasha walk to the stage.  Levi spoke with such courage and confidence about the great, amazing grace that he has experienced.  He is confident that God is fully in control.  Even when the circumstances seem hopeless, he is full of hope because his hope is in God.

As Kasha began to speak, she was a little shaky, seemed nervous, and trying to not cry. She shared that, as we come close to Thanksgiving, she was considering the things that she is thankful for. Every year, she is thankful for her family, her husband, and her beautiful children. This year, she is thankful for those things. Her voice grew stronger and she spoke with deeper conviction as she said, “This year, what I am really, really thankful for, is that God’s word is true. God’s word is true.” As this young woman faces a trial that none of us is prepared to face, she is holding firm to the fact that God’s word is true. She continued with great strength and conviction, “God’s will is perfect. God’s will is perfect.” GOD’S WORD IS TRUE. GOD’S WILL IS PERFECT.

So, as I have prepared for a big Thanksgiving feast with my big family, as I cleaned house and cooked turkey and ham, as I visited with my parents, children, grandchildren, siblings, and so on, as I cleaned up after the dinner, and now as I still am thinking about all that Thanksgiving means, I am rejoicing in the fact that God’s word is true, and , no matter what I see, I can be sure and confident that God’s will is perfect.

No comments: