Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Few of My Heroes

Our  new building is complete. God provided waaaay beyond our expectations to give us a beautiful, although certainly not extravagant building. We had excellent contractors, who we are very grateful for.

However, we would not have this building without a lot of extraordinary volunteers.

We have 2 men who volunteer to oversee our building and maintenance needs. Tim Parke and Ricky Salyer devote so many hours every week without any compensation, I am sure as many hours as many paid maintenance personel at other churches.

My true heroes are Ricky Salyers wife and daughters. Teresa, 13 year old Tamara and 11 year old Tara put in more hours of HARD physical labor than most men would be able to do (at least in my estimation).salyersThis picture is not very clear, but it is Ricky, his wife, and their 11 year old daughter. They are spreading concrete for a new sidewalk. 

salyer Here is Teresa hard at work. After working hard all morning spreading concrete, Ricky, Teresa, and their girls had to go home and milk cows for the family dairy they own. I worked 2 days with Tamara at the new building. One Saturday, Tamara was given the job of scraping the grout of the concrete. She worked until she had blisters on her hands. I took over for her, but I did not last very long. When I stopped, she went right back to work. She worked until her mother made her quit. Those girls work without complaint, doing work that is hard. When I met with some women to wipe down chairs, I asked little Tori Salyer if she wanted to help. She was thrilled to stop riding her tricycle and have a job to do. So, my heroes today are the Salyer women; Teresa, Tamar, Tara, and Tory.  

No comments: