Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Respect our Leaders?


Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. 15 For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men...Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king. 1 Peter 2:13-15,17

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Romans 13:1

Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 1 Timothy 2:2

I believe that these verses are very clear. God says that our government leaders have their authority by God's own divine appointment, and we are to respect them and pray for them. Why does that seem to be so hard to do? I hear Christians complain, criticize, and insult our leaders. I am embarrassed by the language that I often hear, the crude jokes, the outlandish stories repeated, the false accusations.
Let me be clear. I voted this election, and the person I voted for was not elected.
So what is my response to be? I am to be respectful. I am to pray. I am to have faith. I can do this because of a few things that I know are true.

1. America is a democracy. The majority of our people have elected officials that they believe to be the best ones. I must accept that.
2. God is in control. God rules and reigns. He is the Lord of the Nations. He is the King of Kings. I can rest and be at peace because I know that He is still in control,
3. This world is not my home. This is a temporary dwelling place, I was made for eternity. Everything about this world system will end.
4. My hope is in Christ, not a political party or a politician. No matter what happens in the government or the economy, I have Jesus. I have the Holy Spirit of God living in me, giving me joy, peace, confidence, and hope.

So, we are to respect our leaders and pray for them. If you think that this is too hard to do now, it would have been MUCH harder when these verses were written.
Nero was emperor of Rome, and Rome ruled the entire middle east and Europe. In AD 54, when Nero was 17 years old, his mother had his father poisoned, and Nero was proclaimed emperor. Nero was selfish and calculating and incapable. He became paranoid of the rumors about plots to kill him. In AD 55, he had his brother killed, and in 59, he had his mother executed, and three years later, he had his wife killed.
In July 69, a fire blazed uncontrolled for days and destroyed much of Rome. Rumors spread that Nero started the fire because he wanted to rebuild a grander and better city. In order to turn attention away from himself, Nero charged that Christians had started the fire, and he began a time of terrible persecution, killing and torturing Christians by dreadfully creative means. Both Peter and Paul wrote letters during this time, both while expecting to be executed by this government. They wrote to respect and pray for their leader, who was an insanely wicked man with absolute power.

Does God expect any less of us? Our lives are not threatened. We are not hunted down and thrown to wild animals for entertainment. We are not covered with wax and set afire to light an emperor's garden. Being a Christian may have been more acceptable a few years ago, but it's not that hard now. No one is keeping me from praying in my home. I can spend as much time as I want to reading and studying the Bible. I can love my neighbor as commanded, and I have freedom to share the gospel any time I want to. I attend church without harassment several times a week.

I think God's command to respect and pray for my leaders is not too much to ask.

No comments: