Monday, September 7, 2015

Joy

We are about to start a new Bible Study called Fight Back with Joy. Such an interesting title.  I believe that joy is a very important characteristic, a crucial virtue of the Christian life. I have never thought of it as a weapon in our arsenal, but I have thought that joy is an aspect of the fruit of the Spirit that we have overlooked somewhat. I am excited to see how joy can be important in fighting life’s battles.  

Early this morning, as I was sitting in the back yard on a swing, I whispered thanksgiving to God for the sweet cool breeze. I heard in my heart, “Stop long enough to really enjoy it.”  I closed my eyes, and leaned my head back to just delight in the feel of the breeze on my face. This made wonder how often I take the time to truly experience the joy in the little things that come my way every day. We often speak of the importance of gratitude, of giving thanks to God for everything. I appreciate the emphasis we place on giving thanks, knowing that a grateful heart is pleasing to God, and that giving thanks is an act of obedience. 
Today, though, I was convinced that we need to go beyond gratitude. We need to take the time to enjoy the gifts that God gives us. We need to be grateful people, and also joyful people. Jesus is here giving us gifts that he designed to give us joy. If I give someone a gift, I hope that they will say, “Thank you”, but, more than that, I hope that they will enjoy it, that they will use the gift and the gift will bring them joy.

Do you remember what the angel said when announcing that Jesus was born?
Luke 2:10-11  And the angel said to them, Do not fear. For, behold, I proclaim good news to you, a great joy, which will be to all people,  because today a Savior, who is Christ the Lord, was born to you in the city of David.
And, just before his death, Jesus promised us that we could have full joy.
John_15:11  I have spoken these things to you that My joy may abide in you, and your joy may be full.
And, finally, a promise for the future, that we will be before him in joy.
Jude_1:24  Now to Him being able to keep you without stumbling, and to set you before His glory without blemish, with unspeakable joy;


The Bible is actually filled with commands to rejoice, with promises of joy, and with reasons to be filled with joy. I am looking forward to a study of joy in the coming weeks. This should be fun. 

No comments: