Thursday, February 18, 2010

Musings about injustice stirred up by a dream

Last night I had a strange dream. I dreamt that for some reason, we were having to hide, maybe because we are Christians, but I am not sure that was the reason. We were living in our house, but were very careful that some police or army or something did not find us. We had a secret hideout in our attic, but, to get to it quickly and secretly, we had cut a hole in the kitchen ceiling, inside the cabinet, so, in an emergency, we had to go into the upper kitchen cabinet, through a hole in the ceiling, and into the attic hide-away. I woke up a little troubled, and wondered where the dream came from, until I realized it was because of our current Ladies Bible study. We are doing a study on Esther, the story of one evil man's plot to annihilate all Jewish people, and the courageous woman who risked her life to stop the plot. Our discussions have ofen made the obvious connection to Hitler and Nazi Germany...so, I am sure that was in by subconsious mind and caused the dream. My purpose in writing this is not to just tell about my dream. It just made me think once again about how important it is to stand against evil. I know some are expecting to face severe persecution for Christian faith. I am not expecting that in my lifetime, although I know it could happen. What I am thinking about is the more subtle evil that we face every day. I am by nature a peace-keeping, confrontation-hating kind of girl, so it is sometimes hard to speak up, but, I will when I have to!! Too often, I hear ugly comments that show a heart of racism, stereotyping, and bias. Sometimes, even spoken in a religious, self-righteous tone. I don't want to let those little things go. I have determined to speak up...Esther was told that she may have been put exactly where she was "for such a time as this". I have begun to feel that for every conversation I am involved in, every email that I recieve, every thoughtless comment that I hear, I am there "for such a time as this" and God wants me to speak up for those that are the target of racism, prejudice, njustice, or even just gossip or ridicule.
"You're here to defend the defenseless,to make sure that underdogs get a fair break; Your job is to stand up for the powerless,and prosecute all those who exploit them."
Psalm 82:3-4

3 comments:

Royce Phillips said...

Jeannette, sometimes it is not re-acting, but acting that is important. For example, I have had several people tell me that my election as mayor was an "Esther moment" for such a time as this. I have already had a major city issue about the right of a church to own property in a commercial zoning area. The planning and zoning voted against me 5 to 0, meaning I needed a supermajority of council to pass it. I managed to persuade the council to vote 4-1, 4-1, and 5-0 on the 3 readings to make the change and a new Bible teaching church came to town.

Anonymous said...

What a great blog. God places all of us where He wants us for "such a time as this" I just don't think we realize it or maybe some don't feel bold enough to follow through. During some conversation I have had in the past I have felt the need to speak up about certain things but just didn't feel bold enough to get the words out of my mouth. Thank you Jeannette for sharing such a great blog and I am glad to find the dream had nothing to do with the Big Nest in the Attic.

Anonymous said...

I know you are a peace loving girl but, sometimes we all need to be bold and speak to truth in love. If we always avoid correcting people they never have to face or learn from their mistakes or misconceptions. We Christians(stereotyping LOL)like to hiding behind scriptures like turn the other cheek, do not judge, etc....but scripture also tells us to teach,reproof and hold each other accountable. We need to learn and grow with each other.
I think you are a great God fearing wonderful leader for us women! Keep up the good work. Love you and God bless.
KC