Sunday, August 8, 2010

The call to fight

I finished reading the book of Joshua last week, and one thing I noticed was that the people did a lot of fighting.  God immediately told Joshua that He would give the Israelites the land He had promised, and that Joshua would lead them.

Josh 1:1-4 , 9  After the death of Moses the Lord's servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' assistant. He said, 2 "Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. 3 I promise you what I promised Moses: 'Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you—9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

But God did not say it would be easy.

Remember Jericho? When we think about the battle of Jericho, we usually remember that the Israelite army marched around the city every day for 7 days, then blew their horns and shouted and the walls came down. That is right, but, that just gave the warriors the opportunity to fight.

Chapter 8 tells the story of the defeat of Ai. According to God’s plan, Joshua sent a portion of the army to sneak around behind the city. Joshua led an attack on the city, then pulled away in retreat and drew the army to follow them. The Israelite army in hiding went into the city and set it on fie, then all the army joined in defeating Ai. That battle was won by military strategy.

In chapter 10, the Israelites fought against an alliance of several kings in the south. The battle was going so well that Joshua prayed that the sun would stand still so that they could complete the victory.  As the enemy ran away, God sent hail that killed more than the fighting did. The story continues as Joshua leads his army to defeat the enemy in the North, the East, and the West.  Even after Joshua died, the fighting continued. God promised the land to the Israelites. He promised them victory over all of their enemies, and He helped them with strategy, with strength, even with miracles, but the army still had to fight.

I was impressed by this because I realize that I have a battle to fight. God has promised me victory.

Rom 8:37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
1 Cor 15:57  But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 John 5:4-5  For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 5 And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

Like Joshua, I have that promise of victory, but God says that I still have to fight. I cannot sit back and wait for God to do it all. God is SO faithful to do what He promised, but He tells me to do my part.

1 Tim 6:12  Fight the good fight of faith;
2 Tim 2:3-5 Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 Soldiers don't get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.
1 Peter 5:8-9  Be of sober spirit,  be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9  But resist him, firm in your faith,

No comments: