Saturday, September 25, 2010

Radical

I am reading the  book Radical, by David Platt for the third time. It is a book that everyone should read, one that is guaranteed to shake you up. It will inspire, ignite passion, or possibly offend.

I have been anxious to blog about the book, but have not been sure where to start. I am putting in a short quote that maybe will get someone to thinking.

I am convinced that we as Christ followers in American churches have embraced values and ideas that are not only unbiblical but that actually contradict the gospel we claim to believe. And I am convinced we have a choice.

You and I can choose to continue with business as usual in the Christian life and in the church as a whole, enjoying success based on the standards defined by the culture around us. Or we can take an honest look at the Jesus of the Bible and dare to ask what the consequences might be if we really believed him and really obeyed him.

I invite you to join the journey with me. I do not claim to have all the answers. If anything, I have more questions than answers. But if Jesus is who he said he is, and if his promises are as rewarding as the Bible claims they are, then we may discover that satisfaction in our lives and success in the church are not found in what our culture deems most important but in radical abandonment to Jesus.

No comments: