Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Confusion

I love Christmas.  However, I am confused about Christmas.
I love going to Christmas programs. Last Sunday, I watched two of my grandchildren perform in a children’s Christmas musical in a church, which was so fun Friday, I watched Lexi, our kindergartener sing in her school program. (You should hear a bunch of 5 year olds sing Feliz Navidad. “Falee Navida, Falee Navida, Falee da du dum num falee nevah”…VERY cute.)We also went to Gateway Church to see their wonderful presentation of a very Christian version of A Christmas Carol.Our Women’s Night of Worship was very moving and sweet. I love all the Christmas programs.

And, I like Christmas movies, even the ones about Santa Claus. I like Christmas movies about a grumpy old man who learns how to love and be happy because a sweet little girl with cancer reaches out to him, or something like that.

I like Christmas lights, and Christmas trees, and Christmas packages…One of our favorite traditions is looking at Christmas lights in the richest areas of Ft. Worth.

I really like buying Christmas presents for the grandchildren and then watching them open them when the family gets together.I LOVE the special time to get together with my family.

Now, the part that confuses me.
I don’t quite understand why we feel pressure to buy things that we cannot afford. A single mom with very little money feels horrible if she cannot put a tree in her living room and decorate it. An unemployed father gets an ulcer from worrying because he cannot buy his son a bicycle. Why is it necessary to do these things at this certain time? You understand what I’m saying.

I get emails that I am supposed to boycott certain stores because their employees have to say, “happy holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”. People tell me that we should remember that “Jesus is the reason for the season”. Really?
I love Jesus, and I am very glad that we have a time set aside to celebrate His birth. Still, we don’t know when Jesus was born. Jesus told us a lot of things to do, but He never told us to celebrate his birthday. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying we SHOULDN’T do it, I’m just wondering.

Another thing, why do lonely people feel so extra lonely during this month? That is pretty sad.  This is a time when we are supposed to be extra happy because Jesus came to bring peace on earth and good will to men. People who are depressed tend to sink into deeper depression, addicts struggle a little more with their addictions, the suicide rate is higher than at any other time.Stress levels are higher than usual.

I get letters and phone calls constantly asking for money for different organizations wanting to help someone have a better Christmas. What about the rest of the year? Nursing homes are bombarded with groups who want to sing Christmas Carols or bring cards, groups that don’t think about nursing home residents any other time.

I am not a grinch, and I don’t go around saying, “Bah, humbug.” I am just sorting my thoughts.
Sunday, we will have a special Christmas service at Cottonwood. The children are going to sing, and the service will be centered around the birth of Jesus. That is the part of Christmas that I love. I love that we do have a month when there is some extra attention given to the God who came as a baby “to save his people from their sins”.

No comments: