Thursday, January 20, 2011

Obedience is its Own Reward

I am not sure when I first said that, or if I heard it from someone else first, but I know that phrase comes to mind a lot, and I speak it a lot. Sometimes, I obey the voice that I believe to be God speaking, and there is nothing  outward to show for it. Sometimes it is a simple thing, like I feel God telling me to make a phone call, or go visit my neighbor. I obey, thinking that she is in the midst of a crisis or needs me for some reason, but everything is fine. There does not seem to be any specific reason for the visit.

I am desperate to do only the things that God is leading me to do; what Bible study to lead, what topic to teach, what special event to plan, or just how I will spend my day. Sometimes, the results are amazing, sometimes less than hoped for. Those are the times that I remember, “Obedience is its own reward”. I don’t have to see results, if I do what I believe God is leading me to do, then that is enough. God wants obedience, and He doesn’t promise certain results. I want to obey, so I must be content with knowing I was obedient, and not worry about results.

I recently ended a season of ministry in a persons life. I felt called to reach out; I loved and served, and did my best to share Christ’s love.  The response was not at all what I hoped. Eventually, I felt that I had reached an end and God told me to let go. I made the decision with no regrets and no guilt, just a real sorrow at the way it ended. I continue to pray, but I know that any good outcome is only up to God.  So, I am at peace, encouraged to know that even if I never see any result of my labor, I obeyed, and that is enough.

It is hard to not look for outcomes when we serve. I think of stories I have heard of missionaries who serve for years without seeing anyone come to Christ, Pastors who preach God’s word faithfully without seeing any growth in the church they serve, people who share their faith with coworkers diligently and never see fruit. Those are the times that we have to be content to know that obedience is the reward, regardless of outcome.

I hope this post does not sound discouraging. I am not discouraged, just contemplative!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Just so you know Jeanette - I READ YOUR BLOG ALMOST DAILY!!! Keep it up - it is such a blessing in this busy life I lead - One of the only chances that I have to "connect" with the women at Cottonwood! So please keep obeying and blogging!
Wendy Moser