Sunday, July 31, 2011

Theology of a Child

I love to hear children talk about God. A friend recently told me the sweetest story. Her son Lewis, (I think he is 6) told his mother that he knows what God looks like. He said that God is REALLY big, and He is full of light, shining everywhere, and He has red hearts ALL over Him. He takes a red heart off and reaches out to a person, takes the persons black, sick heart and gives him the new, red heart in exchange.

Wow, what a great concept. What great insight, and very Biblical. Don’t you love the simple theology of children.

This reminds me of one of my favorite childhood stories of our daughters. When Katy was 3 and 4, she listened well to her Sunday School lessons and would often tell us the stories. One day, I asked her what the lesson was that morning. She said that the story was about George and the Gypsies. I did not remember a story about Gypsies, or even a George in the Bible, so I asked her about it. She said that George’s father made him a beautiful coat with a lot of colors. His brothers were jealous and sold him to the Gypsies.

Well, sometimes kids don’t get it right, but it is still fun.

No comments: