Friday, March 30, 2012

A Child's Challenge

           As any reader of this blog would know, I have 4 grandchildren who were adopted, three of them from Korea. We get a monthly magazine from Dillon International, the agency our daughter and son-in-law used to adopt. This month, there was a story that blew me away. I have continued to think about it, so I want to share it. 

Austin's Change for Children

          A love of family and a love of pancakes netted scholarships for children in Vietnam at a fundraiser organized by Dillon adoptee, 8, and parents Bill and Kim Evans. 
          The fundraiser--dubbed "Austin's Change for Children"--gave the Evans family's friends, church and community a chance to have fun while showing their suppport for those Austin likes to call "his Vietnam kids." Austin joined his family at age 3 via adoption from Vietnam and regularly saves and donates change to help children in his birth country attend school. 
          Dillon International provides scholarships for children in Vietnam, paying for school supplies, tuition, uniforms, a book bag and a new pair of shoes for each of these children. $100 will fund a child's annual education expenses. These children wait each fall to find out whether their scholarship applications have been approved and if they will be able to go to school that year. 
        The benefit breakfast, held in January at an Applebee's Restaurant in Oklahoma City, raised more than $1,600. "I had fun serving pancakes to the people," said Austin. "I want to help my Vietnam kids. It is important because they need money to go to school." 


That's the story that broke my heart. An 8 year old raising money to help orphan children in Vietnam go to school. WOW 

2 comments:

Kdwebb said...

I love this story. Children changing the world ( even one pancake at a time:)
Thank you for sharing. I know a lot of try to pledge,donate,volunteer,etc. in many areas of missionary work to help others who are less fortunate than we are. Sometimes I feel ( me included) that we get so busy with other things going on in our lives, strapped financially, or may even splurge or overly indulge on un-needed items for oneself that we tend to lose focus on the race God intended for us to run.
Thank you for this reminder, Jeannette.
Bless you friend.

Glenda Mash said...

Such a wonderful story! I am sharing with my sister. She adopted through Dillon, also.