Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fall Festival for Homeless

I had a new adventure today. It all started a couple of weeks ago when I got a phone call from a friend of a friend who helps out with a ministry involved with homeless people (is that correct terminology, it seems a bit insensitive?) in East Fort Worth. Several ministries were working together to hold a Fall Festival in a park behind the Union Gospel Mission in Fort Worth. The Union Gospel Mission has grown and increased their work until it covers a couple of blocks off of East Lancaster, near downtown. A vacant lot has been turned into a sort of park, where outdoor activities are held. 
The friend of a friend, Mindy, reminded me that we had met several months back when I showed interest in helping out with the inner city ministries, and invited me to bring a group to help with face painting and mingling at this festival. 
I put the word out, and today 6 of us headed out to the big city, really not sure what to expect. None of us were really proficient at painting faces, but we all were good at mingling, which Mindy said was an important aspect to the festival. 
I knew where the Union Gospel Mission was, but had never been there before, and was shocked to see the number of people in the area, just walking around, sitting on curbs, standing on sidewalks, walking in the streets...We had to search for a place to park the car, then joined the crowd at the festival. Fortunately, there were plenty of people painting faces, so we just visited with people. 
We had a BLAST! 
There was a lot going on besides face painting; a lot of booths giving out food, a jump house, games, a prayer tent, and a stage area with really great worship, sharing, and entertainment. 
I had a long conversation with a woman who is living in a hotel near the mission with her husband and two children. Her husband lost his job, and in a few months, they lost their apartment and are paying $30 a day to stay in a motel. Her husband has been working day jobs, and has been hired for a permanent position starting Wednesday. She goes to Texas Workforce every day to look for a job. We had the sweetest fellowship about faith, trusting God, His provision, His care, and His love for us. I don't mean I was teaching her, I mean, she shared with me, and I responded, in a special way of true fellowship. 
I noticed one woman who was enthusiastically encouraging a singer who was also speaking. I introduced myself to her and said, "I love your spirit." She said, "Thank you, God gave it to me." and we were bonded! I stood with her as we held hands and sang, "We are the World' and danced to "Take the Shackles off my feet". Afterward, she said, "Jeannette, you are blessed. God has a plan for you, and He will bless you." 
Who is ministering to whom???? 
My friends also walked around and connected with people, listened to their stories and prayed with them. I won't try to tell about all of them. But, I really have to tell one more story. The festival included a talent show. WOW. These folks blew me away. I wish America's Got Talent could have been there. 
I am uploading a few pictures. They are not good pictures, just random group pictures, because I did not in any way want to make anyone feel like they were on display






 Later, I will try to upload the videos of some of the talent show, which do not give the performers justice, but will give you an idea of what we experienced. 

No comments: