Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Nothing in Common..."

I got my first Christmas cards this week, two are from very special young women. I have had a lot of very special friends in my life. I have especially loved having friends that are not exactly my age. That makes my life rich and full. I have VERY close friends who could be my mother. They are not like mothers to me, they are simply really good friends, with whom I share a special bond.
I have other close friends who are young enough to be my daughters. I am blessed by those friendships. This week, I got cards from two young women who were sweet blessings to me a few years ago.
I was asked to be a mentor to Danielle. At the time, I was pleased to be a part of her life, but I knew that she was well grounded in her faith and she has a very godly mother, so I was not sure why I was needed. The solution was that we met as friends, we worked on some Bible studies together, we talked about her school and my children, about our mutual faith and passion for God, and eventually about her boyfriend who became her husband. After she married, she moved away. Now, she is a wonderful wife and mother to two adorable little girls.
Jessica came into my life in a more casual way. She and Les played on the same softball team! I know, that was crazy. Les was asked to play on the Baptist Student ministry team. He was somewhat older than everyone else, but he was an excellent pitcher and a good hitter. Running the bases was not his strong suit. Anyway, I digress. I instantly loved Jessica's fun loving personality and her zeal for Christ. We became fast friends. Later, she worked for the church with the youth ministry, and we enjoyed being co-laborers in ministry. She also married, and eventually moved away. I loved seeing her with her husband and precious son and daughter.
I don't understand people who feel that their friends have to be just like them...same age range, same stage in life, same interests.  I remember talking and laughing with my much younger friends, and later remembering that we might have little in common outwardly, but God knit our hearts in a special way. Thanks, girls, for the Christmas cards and sharing your lives with me.

No comments: