Monday, February 18, 2013

A time to refrain from embracing

Last night, we had a very special evening with the Cottonwood body. Dave Bollenbacher, our Missions Pastor for the past 8 years has resigned, effective the end of February. Last night, we had an appreciation dinner for Dave and his wife, Sharon. 
They are not leaving the area right now. Sharon is still teaching in Dublin, and they have their house on the market. They do not have a plan, but just felt that God was leading them in a new direction. Dave shared a little about their journey, and referred to a verse that God has used in speaking to him. 
Eccleciates 3:5 "a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;"
I have pondered on that verse since Dave spoke about it. God says that there is a time to embrace, but that there is also a time to refrain from embracing.
To refrain just means to keep oneself from doing something, to hold back. I kept thinking how interesting it is that God says there is a time to hold back, especially from something that is good. 
I would think that it is always good to embrace, to hold on to something that is good, but, there is a time to let go. 
For Dave, there have been three times that he had to let go, three periods in his life when he enjoyed where he was and what he was doing, but God spoke to him to not hold on. 

I think of so many applications of this verse today...what in my life am I embracing that God is telling me to refrain from embracing? 
Maybe I am holding on to an unhealthy friendship that I need to refrain from embracing. Am I worried and anxious about some things that I need to let go of? Am I embracing areas of ministry that God is telling me to stop embracing. Just pondering and praying about these things today. 

No comments: