Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Abundant Life of a Sheep

As part of the Bible Study we are doing, I am reading through the book of John, rather slowly and prayerfully, asking for God to speak...and He is!

Last week as I read John 10, which is the amazing passage where Jesus tells us what life is like as sheep cared for by the Good Shepherd. I read John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly", which is one of my favorite verses, one that I pray often and am always encouraged by. But, this time, I really considered it in the context of which Jesus spoke it, that He is the Good Shepherd who leads the sheep, speaks to the sheep, protects the sheep, and lays down his life for the sheep. Considering this led me to Psalm 23, as a description of the abundant life.

Psalm 23 gives us a picture of the life that is full and abundant, in the care of the shepherd.
It is a life that lacks nothing, all my needs fully provided. It is a life of rest, laying down in green pastures. The abundant life is a life of following where He leads beside still waters where I am safe and nourished, and in the paths that are right and make me right with God.

Even when I am in danger or trials, I am not afraid because the Shepherd is with me and he protects me and fights for me. I have a feast even when surrounded by enemies. He soothes me and heals my wounds. I am so full of joy, love, and peace that I overflow, and I experience His goodness and His mercy every single day of my life.

In the true abundant life, I live in the presence of God today, right now, and I will be with Him for all eternity.


No comments: