Wednesday, August 14, 2013

New Book

I got a new book in the mail today. I read the foreword and already love it.
The book is Love Does by Bob Goff. I would have wanted to read the book if I had just seen it, because I love the title. But, last week, I heard Bob Goff speak at the Global Leadership Summit. He is an amazing man, an extremely funny, crazy lawyer who is a hero to the enslaved children of Uganda.
After I heard Bob speak, I HAD to get his book ASAP and read it. I ordered it, and got it in the mail today. I could not get past the foreword. I had to stop and share.
Here is what Donald Miller says about Bob Goff.
...What do you do with a man who will get on a plan and fly around the world to attend the wedding of a new acquaintance? What do you do with a man who offices at Tom Sawyers Island at Disneyland because angry lawyers are less likely to yell at him there, and for that matter, what do you do with a lawyer whose business card simply reads Helper? What do you do with a man who worked for two years to free a child from a prison in Uganda, all because I met the kid and asked him to? How do you explain that he lumbers, pajama-clad, into his garden every morning to find a rose for his sleeping wife? There's the DC diplomats, the new acquaintances to whom he daily sent pizza for a week, the Ugandan judiciary that he took to Disneyland, and the refugee camp outside Gulu where he dug wells and delivered pounds and pounds of clothes.
I don't know how to explain Bob's love except to say it is utterly and delightfully devastating. You simply cannot live the same once you know him. He will wreck your American dream and help you find your actual dream. He will wreck your crappy marriage and help you find a love story. To know Bob is to have a facade you've spent your life maintaining beautifully strewn to ruins while, like a friend, he comes alongside you as you rebuild...

OK, this sounds like my kind of book, I've got to go read now.  I will let you know if the actual book is as good as the foreword!

No comments: