Friday, December 6, 2013

Snow Day

We have 2 or 3 inches of ice on the ground, so everything is cancelled.
My plans for the day included a visit in Brownwood, which I wouldn't dare try to make. This evening, we had planned to take the younger grandchildren, and anyone else who wanted to go, to Grapevine. We had planned to do this ever since I heard about it last Christmas, and a few weeks ago, made definite plans for Dec. 6, to experience the "North Pole Express" train ride, complete with hot chocolate, Christmas Carols, and a visit with Santa Claus. It looks like a lot of fun. Cancelled.
As a school child, there was nothing better than a "snow day", an unexpected day at home, which always involved some kind of outing! As a mom of school children, it was exciting to have an extra day at home, with snow on the ground, which usually melted by 10:00am, making hot chocolate and maybe baking cookies.
For the eight years that I worked for the state, a snow day was the best. An extra day off that did not have to be made up, and didn't use up a vacation day. State offices closed when the schools in the area were closed, so my girls and I would anxiously watch the closures to see if we would stay home together.

There is still something special about a cold, snowy or icy day, when usual activities have to stop, an enforced day at home. Even though with my job now I do things that I really, genuinely want to do, cancelling everything to stay at home is good.
This morning, I had extra time to pray at a leisurely pace. Soooo enjoyable and refreshing. (I can do that anytime, I just don't always take the extra time.)

I put turnip greens in the crop pot to cook for supper. When I was a child, turnip greens was one of my favorite dishes. A few times a year, I would go with my mom to a friends house to pick greens. I called the man who grew the greens "Rabbit". There was an old well hole in his yard, and I thought that was why his name was Rabbit, but it may not have even been his name. Maybe I just called him that because he had a hole in his yard and he grew vegetables! Anyway, when we got home, Mom would wash the greens and start cooking them. As soon as they were tender, she would dish a plate out for me, cause I couldn't wait to eat them. Sweet memories. Even as an adult, when my mom made a special dinner for me, it would include turnip greens and corn bread.

After getting supper started, I sat down to do some research. This week, my Doctor called me in to discuss my recent blood work. Surprise! My cholesterol is high, my triglycerides are high, my vitamin D is VERY low, and something about insulin being low. My doctor said she knew I didn't want to take meds, and I can try to get it down through diet. Problem is, I am not overweight, and I really eat a healthy diet. I bought the supplements suggested; vitamin D3, Omega oil, red yeast rice; and I started eating oatmeal.

Today, I sat down to research essential oil use for cholesterol treatment. We have been using oils the last few months, and have had good results. Les starting using a product from Doterra oils, a blend called Onguard that helps fight disease. He put it on his sinuses, along with Oregano oil to stop a sinus infection he felt coming on. It stopped the infection from develping. A bonus, is that is has stopped his heavy drainage and allergies! No more coughing, harking, and sputtering every morning. Pretty amazing. I have seen benefits from Tea Tree oil on little sores and scrapes. I have had a sore in front of my ear for years. It bleeds a bit for a while, then it scabs over, heals, becomes a little bump...then it will start bleeding and oozing again. It has cycled like that for years. I began putting tea tree oil on it and it completely healed within a week. We are super excited about the oils.
So, today, I  discovered what oils are good for cholesterol, and ordered some. I have to have blood work again in June, so we will see if the oils work.

I baked some cookies, always a good activity for a snow day. We went out and ran a little errand. Nothing is melting. The high temp today at our house was 27, and it is down to 25 now. Looks like tomorrow may be another "snow day."



2 comments:

Alice Kotter said...

Jeannette, I enjoyed your blog. I learned new things about you; how cute that your "friend" rabbit sold you greens. I liked hearing the story of how your mom cooked greens for you.

How strange that your doctor had some bad numbers for you on your blood work. I am eager to see what the oils can do.

Love ya,
Alice

thenewwittys said...

jeannette, we love snow days! But here in Houston where we are at the moment, we don't get many, if one at all, of those.
just a quick note, we rode the polar express when Andrew was a little baby. it was not what i expected and was let down a bit. i did, however, enjoyed grapevine's downtown and also the ICE show at the gaylord. that was fantastic!