Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Hymns

This morning, a facebook friend mentioned an old hymn that was playing in her mind, which happened to have been one  of my favorites. That got me to thinking about my old faves. 

The one my friend mentioned was Count Your Many Blessings

When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Refrain:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

I remember singing that song in my church, thinking about the blessings in my life. 
I like the way the chorus ends the final time you sing it... And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
I do not sing extremely well, but I do sing with a lot of gusto, a lot of feeling, and usually, a lot of volume. I liked songs that were pretty peppy.
Another favorite was

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
I especially loved this chorus....
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Gosh, I can just see myself, mouth WIDE open, singing as loud as I could. I wonder if the people around me covered their ears with their hands?
My Mom loved hymns. Her favorites were Amazing Grace and The Old Rugged Cross. Wonderful songs, but not as lively as my taste ran!
Another favorite

"Faith is is the victory!
Faith is is the victory!
Oh, glorious victory,
That overcomes the world.

My VERY favorite hymn when I was growing up was He Lives.  

I serve a risen Saviour,
He's in the world today;
I know that He is living,
Whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy,
I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him
He's always near.

When I was older, I would sing it alone in my car, building up to the final chorus

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and He talks with me
Along life's narrow way.
   (And, the final crescendo...ready?...)

He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives:
He lives within my heart.

That chorus still makes me smile and gets my heart beating! 
A What are some of your favorite hymns you grew  up singing? 


No comments: