Saturday, January 4, 2014

Stop Striving

In the past week or so, I have thought about the new year; resolutions, goals, thoughts, dreams, new directions, not sure what the right word is. I have asked God to show me things that I need to change, new directions I should take, and areas that I need to improve. The one word that has come to my mind again and again is to stop "striving".  I have pondered that over and over.

Yesterday, I was reading  a book that mentioned Psalm 46:10  "Be still, and know that I am God", and said that the phrase "be still" also means "cease striving". That caught my attention.

I realize that I am a "striver".  By nature, I am...motivated...a "go-getter"...busy... a "busy body"... Not sure what the word is. But "still" I am not! That is OK. God created me with a lot of enthusiasm. I read a book and quickly want to respond to what I read. If I feel that God speaks to me, I want to act on it quickly. If someone asks me to do something,  I don't want to delay. Those are good things, things that I like about the way I am. And, for as many times as the Bible says to "be still", it says, "go immediately". There is balance.
The word strive means to devote serious effort or energy, to endeaver, to contend. It is not a bad word in itself.

Here is the thing. I have realized that I strive inwardly. I strive to please the Lord, when He wants me to just trust Him. I mentally strive in my relationships, worrying if I have met expectations, if my husband or a daughter is disappointed with me. I wonder if I am giving enough attention to my grandchildren. I am concerned that I am not meeting needs that I should of women in the church. I wonder if I am doing everything I should to reach out to my neighbors. It is the mental, emotional striving that God is telling me to stop. I don't think that I work too hard. I spend time alone with Jesus and enjoy being in His presence. I get enough rest. I spend adequate time watching TV or looking at Facebook!
I don't believe God is telling me that I am too busy.

The Spirit is speaking to me about striving to please people. I think He is telling me to do what He leads me to do, and quit thinking so much about it.


1 comment:

susan Taylor said...

Good message. I often think some of those same things about my family and friends. I want you to know that you do so much for the women of Cottonwood and the surrounding areas. We know if it there is a need and you can find a way to fulfill it you will. You are our visible anchor of Jesus. Keep on doing what you do. Thanks