Friday, January 17, 2014

Thoughts on Prayer (continued)

(continued from last post)
As I considered my experiences concerning prayer, I turned to Habakkuk, which happens to be the book I am teaching this week in Sunday School.
I realized that Habakkuk had some of the same questions concerning prayer that I did.
He starts out in Habakkuk 1:2
2 O Lord, how long shall I cry for help, and you will not hear? Or cry to you "Violence!"and you will not save?

Psalm 73 asks the same question.
The wicked prosper. The wealthy live above the law and there is no punishment for them.  They think God does not know or see, and they do not believe that He will do anything. The psalmist says, in verse 13 "All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence..
I am not the only one who prays and wonders why God does not answer."
But look at verses 16-17
16 But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, 17 until I went into the sanctuary of God; 

until I went into God’s presence…I thought and considered and tried to understand. I used reason to figure it all out and I was weary and worn out by it, until I went into God's presence. The answers are in God’s presence. Not the answers to all of our questions. Just the answer that its OK, that God is still God, and God is in control.

Psalm 73:23-26
Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Nevertheless. Whatever the circumstances, whatever my questions may be, when things don't make sense, I will stay in God's presence. He holds my hand, He guides me, and He has a glorious future for me. His presence is far more precious than answers to my questions. I desire Him more than receiving anything that I have asked for. 

The psalmist says My flesh and my heart may fail. (cease, end, perish, leave, pass away)  My body, and my heart, or my soul, my inner person may come to an end. 
But God is the strength of my heart. 
The word translated strength is the Hebrew word  tsur (tsoor);  a cliff (or sharp rock, as compressed); generally, a rock or boulder; figuratively, a refuge; also an edge (as precipitous), (mighty) God (one), rock, sharp, stone, strength, strong. 

My body and my inner soul, my heart may be without strength, fully exhausted, but God is my rock, my refuge. When I have lost strength due to lack of answers, I can stand on God. 



No comments: