Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Is that You, God?


How do you know if the words that come to your mind are words from God?
For me, the first question I ask is, "Would God say that?" Do those words line up with what I know of the character and nature of God. 
If the words are condemning, shaming, or quilt producing, they are not from God. God convicts, He doesn't shame. God disciplines but He does not condemn. 
God will say, "What you said is not true. That is a lie. You need to confess and apologize."
God does NOT say, "You are a dirty rotten liar. You can never be trusted." 
God is compassionate, full of mercy and grace. He loves me. He likes me. He favors me. He will not speak in ways that make me feel unloved, disliked, or rejected. 
If the voice says words like;
            Not good enough
            Disappointment 
            Don't measure up 
            Failure
            Stupid 
            
You can know that the voice is not God. That voice is the enemy, Satan. Or that voice is your own. Or, that voice is the voice from a teacher, coach, parent, sibling, friend, bully, employer...a voice that is in your memory that comes to mind sometimes. 
For me, the first question to ask is, "Is that a voice of love that brings hope and encouragement?" 
That is the voice I long to hear. 

No comments: