Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Knowing God's Language

Many years ago. I mean MANY years ago, when I was a very young woman, I longed to hear from God. I told God, I want to hear you speak. And, I did. God said, "Then you need to know my language."
I knew that he meant I needed to know what the Bible said. To really hear from God, we need to know the Bible. How else can I know if the words I hear line up with the character and nature of God? God reveals Himself through the Bible.
Many times, when I hear from God, the words that He uses are from the Bible.
I may be worried and the words come to mind, "Be anxious in nothing." Yes, that is scripture, but, when the right words pop into my mind at just the right time, I know that it is God speaking those words to my heart at that moment.
When I am stressing and I hear, "Be still", I KNOW that God is telling me to slow down and trust Him.
I hear "be quick listen, slow to speak, slow to become angry", and I know that I am to slow down my emotions, don't respond quickly, listen, and choose to not become angry.
If I am hurt, sad, or feeling bad about myself, the words, "you are the apple of my eye" will make me smile.
When guilt and shame overtake me, I know that, "there is NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus".
These are just some of the ways that God speaks to me, in words that I understand because I know the Bible, at least a bit.

No comments: