Monday, March 3, 2014

Spring Retreat "Uniquely Designed"

Our annual ladies retreat was a great success. I am so grateful for the weekend. God worked things out in His own way, and we were blessed by His presence and His speaking. The title for the weekend was Uniquely Designed. 
                                  
I prayed and searched the dictionary long for the right title for this retreat.
Unique-   used to say that something or someone is unlike anything or anyone else; very special or unusual; belonging to or connected with only one particular thing, place, or person
Design-  to plan and make decisions about (something that is being built or created)   to plan and make (something) for a specific use or purpose

I had the vision over a year ago, that we would have a time for women to share their stories, Christian women, serious Christ followers who are living that out in different ways.

Within the realm of good, not sinful, but life choices, I know that for every decision that I might make, ever choice that I have, there is someone, another dear Christian who would make the opposite choice. I have seen that we have a hard time with that. It just seems that there should be one right way, and that would be my way.

As I have read the Bible many times, I have seen that God is very flexible. He is also somewhat unpredictable. He never changes in His character. He is compassionate, loving, kind, merciful, holy, righteous, faithful, forgiving…  He never changes in His character.

But, if you read the Bible, you can see that the way He chooses to work varies a whole lot.
When the Israelites were at the Red sea, with the Egyptians coming, God said, Be still and know that I am God, then he parted the sea for them to cross.
When the Israelites stood at the Jordan river, ready to go into the good land, God said, tell the priests to walk into the raging, flooded river. After they were in the river, God stopped the river up stream, and it took a while for the flood to stop.
When God decided to speak to Moses, he chose to speak in the midst of a bush that was on fire. When God wanted to speak to the prophet Balaam, he gave a voice to the donkey and let him do the talking. I’m not making this stuff up.

God sometimes told His people, This is not your battle, just stay still and watch. Other times, He said, Do not be afraid, go into battle and fight, because I am with you.
When the Israelites entered the Promised land, the first city they came to was Jericho. How many know how that battle was fought?  God told them to march around the city every day for 7 days, then, on the last day, march around it 7 times, then blow the trumpets and yell. The walls fell and they took the city. Do you know that they never used that method again????  It worked once, why wouldn’t they use it on every city? You know I could go on and on giving examples. 

Then, come to the New Testament. Jesus healed a lot of people. Sometimes he touched them, sometimes, they reached out and touched him. Sometimes they begged to be healed, sometimes they didn’t even ask, Jesus went to them and worked a miracle. Some blind men were healed by a word, sometimes by a touch. I feel bad for the guy that Jesus made mud with his spit, and put it on the poor guys eyes, and told him to go wash them.  Jesus was NOT predictable.  He was unique and treated each person as a unique individual.

Why do we expect that He would tell us all to do the same thing, to be the same person?
We know that in 1 Cor 12 Paul says that the church is the body of Christ, made of many members with different gifts, different work to do, different ways of working.

"14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts,[e] yet one body.
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24be which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together."

Look at my body, every part is so different. Even the body parts that come in pairs, those pairs are not exactly the same.  Look at your thumbs. Are they exactly the same? Mine are not.  One thumb is a little defective, has a joint that sticks out. But I still like that thumb. And it still works quite well. In fact, I like all of my body parts. My favorite body part may be my eyes. I really like eyes. I like that because of my eyes, I can see. Eyes are also pretty. They are the only body part that come in different colors, which is really cool. But, I don’t want to trade in all my other body parts to have more eyes. That’s creepy to even think about. I want my 2 eyes, but also, my 2 ears, my feet and legs. Each body part is very important to me. That is how God feels about each one of us.

This is not just a spiritual truth. This is the reality of the church. God created us soooo very different. Jesus prayed for oneness, that we would love each other and not be divided, but have a true unity. That doesn’t mean all be the same. That means accepting each other and our differences. That means esteeming one another. That means having respect for each person and not dismissing their views or their ways of doing things, thinking that someone different must be wrong.

We see things differently, based on the way our brains operate, due to our individual DNA, based on our past experiences which are completely individual, based on our parents, based on past teaching. Sometimes, I hear a teacher speak about a verse, and I am so surprised, because I never saw it that way, it is totally new to me to see it like that. But it is not just Bible teaching, it is life choices, calling, life styles. Every choice I make, someone in the room will take a different approach. Can I be ok with that?

Can we esteem each other so much that we can trust our choices, trust that each of us is maybe hearing from God, and that he is telling us different things, because He knows us each so well, and has specific and unique plans for each of us?

There is an interesting story at the very end of Jesus time on earth, recorded in John.  Jesus has died and come back to life, and had a few conversations with his followers. In John 21, Jesus speaks to Peter, telling him, Peter, if you love me, then take care of my people. Jesus then tells Peter that there will come a time when he is old that he will suffer as a follower of Jesus. Peter was ok with that, but asked, Jesus, what about my friend John, what will happen to him?  Jesus said, “If it is my will that he remain until I come back, what is that to you? YOU follow me.” 

These are the last recorded words of Jesus in the gospels. Matt, Mark, and Luke end with Jesus telling his followers to go and spread the word of his death and resurrection. John ends his story with Jesus telling one unique follower to just follow Him, and not worry about what anyone else is doing. The final word from the stories of Jesus. That must be important. Jesus calls us each to follow Him. And he doesn’t want us to worry about what other people are doing. We are to hear his voice and follow him. 

No comments: