Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Choosing life over death daily

Sometimes, I get distracted and begin to think about things that bring me down. This weekend was one of those times. My life is great. My family is wonderful, ministry, church, everything is really good, but, like everyone else, I sometimes have difficult relationships that I have to deal with. Last week, I spent too much time dwelling on some of those difficult relationships. I finally realized that I was dying inside, because, as Paul said in Romans 8:6, the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. My thinking about the difficult relationship; what was said, why that was done, what was meant…all those thoughts were just the mind set on the flesh. The result of that is always death.
I got up Sunday morning, Easter morning, the day we celebrate the resurrection life. My mind was still distracted, but I remembered this passage: Luke 24:"Why do you seek the living One among the dead? 6 "He is not here, but He has risen.”
That passage really hit me. I want to be living. I realized that I was seeking life in my soul among the deadness of negative thoughts.

Sometimes thoughts are really hard to control. It takes a lot of work. In 2 Corinthians 10:5, Paul said that we can take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. One problem is that those thoughts don’t stay captive. I spent much of yesterday and some of today thinking the same thoughts that brought me down last week. I know the secret; I just have to keep applying it.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

There are so many good things to think about. God is GOOD. He is mighty and strong, merciful, full of grace and compassion. He loves me unconditionally. God is at work in my life, and all around me. I have more to celebrate and enjoy than I can even take the room to write about here. I have to decide what I will think about, will I dwell on all the good things, and experience life and peace, or will I dwell on the small negative things, and experience death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so relate-able to me, especially considering some things that I've been going thru over this past month. Thanks for sharing and encouraging.

love-n-hugs,
Nancy

Mendi K said...

Goodness Jeannette, how did you know what has been bothering my heart the past few days? I am sorry that you have been troubled, but I am grateful God put it on your heart to write about it. I was able to get my head and my heart back where they belong by reading your words. Thank you so much for being willing to open up and share.
Love Ya and God Bless,
Mendi