Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rest for the weary and heavy laden


Special event for women 30-50 (ish) 
Mary and Martha--Together at Last
We all have so much to do, and can easily be stressed and overwhelmed. Learn how to actually do the things that God has given you, while still sitting at Jesus feet, enjoying the peace that comes from His presence.
Tuesday, July 10, 6:30-8:00.
Cottonwood Fellowship Hall.

At a leadership retreat June 1-3, we discussed the need for something specific for this age group, and one of the women there who is in that group suggested sharing something dealing with time management and coping with stress. After that discussion and some prayer time, I happened to read Matt 11:28-12:1
" Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, andYOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.  30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

That passage spoke to me in a new, fresh way, and I felt that it was the foundation of what I would speak. Jesus calls us to come to Him when we are weary, but then He says to put on a yoke. A yoke was for working, not resting. I believe that Jesus calls us to come join Him in the work that He has designed for us, and that work will be rest to us. We are weary because we tend to be doing so many things that He has not called us to be doing. We are stressed because we are worried about how our children will be. We wear ourselves out trying to meet needs that we are not designed to meet. We find true rest when we rest IN HIM. 

No comments: