Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Little Trip

I went on a little trip to Albuquerque last weekend.
One of my close friends, who is also a dear co-laborer in Women's Ministry, Mary Ann, was planning to visit her children, a daughter who lives in Albuquerque, and a son who lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Her plan was for her husband to take her to Abilene, where she would take a plane to DFW, then change planes to fly to Albuquerque. Because she has stage 4 lung cancer and is very weak, I was concerned about her making the connection and flying alone. I am sure that, with the help of the airport personnel and the wheelchair that her husband had arranged for her, she would have done fine, but I felt that God was moving me to go with her.
So, Thursday morning, I picked up Mary Ann in Comanche and drove with her to Abilene. What a nice airport. The employees there were very helpful and going through security was a breeze. When we got of the plane in DFW, a nice man from Jamaica pushed Mary Ann in the wheelchair, while Mary Ann held her oxygen and I pulled both our bags. See, I was needed after all! We made it to the gate with no time to spare.
In Albuquerque, Mary Ann's dear friend who was at one time her sister in law picked us up and took us to lunch, then dropped us off at her daughter's house.

We had a great time visiting with Josephine. I have heard much of Mary Ann's story before, but found out some of the details. I told her she should write a book. In fact, if I was a writer, I would write her story for her. She has lived through such difficult times, even from early childhood, and experienced enormous hurts, but God has brought her through and she radiates His grace and joy.
Mary Ann's late husband was killed in a small plane crash about 20 years ago, but she is very close to his family, and we spent Saturday with them.
We had planned to ride the SandiaTramway to the top of Sandia Peak on Sunday, but Mary Ann asked us to go without her because she was so tired. I enjoy being with Josephine, and we had a good time, although we hated to see Mary Ann so exhausted and feeling bad.

 
The white flecks on our jackets is snow! It was that cold up there.




 

 She did join us for lunch and a walk around Old Town.





Early Monday morning, Josephine took me back to the airport and I headed home. Mary Ann will spend this week with Josephine and next week with her son and his family.
I am so thankful that she was able to make this trip, to see her family and spend quality time with her children.

No comments: