Saturday, May 25, 2013

Forgiving when they just don't know

On Thursday night at Celebrate Recovery, as Jeannine taught the lesson, she shared the story of a man  who, as he went through the C.R. steps, took the step to forgive some people who had hurt him. He was shocked by the response of some people who did not know they had hurt him, but he told them, "Well, that doesn't matter. Let's just say that the slate is clean."  He remembered Jesus words on the cross, "Father, forgive them because they do not know what they are doing."
I thought about that a lot since then. I want to forgive everybody for everything. I don't always forgive easily, sometimes it takes setting my will to forgive again and again, but I really do not want to hold a grudge or refuse to forgive. HOWEVER, I do want people to understand that I am hurt, and to know why. That is important to me. I want my husband to not just be sorry that I am hurt, but to UNDERSTAND why I am hurt. I want people to REALIZE that I was treated unfairly. I want the person to KNOW that she was rude to me. I want them COMPREHEND how deeply hurt I was my their treatment. It is important to me that people GRASP the impact of their words or actions.
Apparently, that was not important to Jesus. The very fact that the people did not know was the reason that he gave for forgiving them.
That fact really cut to my heart. I want a heart like Jesus. I want to have that attitude, to just forgive, without wanting an apology first. I don't want to hold a grudge, which can easily turn into bitterness, while I wait for an offender to come to realize their offense and apologize.
Lord, make my heart like yours, help me to be quick to forgive, even when they truly do not know what they are doing.

No comments: