Monday, March 8, 2010

"More to See"


Last weekend, about 106 women participated in our annual Cottonwood Ladies Retreat. Our theme this year was "More to See" because our God always has more to reveal to us. Arnita Taylor blessed us so much from the Bible and from her own experience as a Christ follower. In her experience, one of the times that she has been able to really see more of God was during times of suffering or struggle. Here are a few encouraging tidbits from the first session of the retreat.

We have to know that there is a reason, a goal, and an end for our suffering.
The Apostle Paul expressed that in 2 Timothy 4:6-9
"For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; 8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Suffering doesn't always mean you are failing or doing something wrong. It does mean that I need to pray and seek God more. During our hard times, we learn God's comfort, and we experience His Presence as we draw closer to Him.
Suffering will clarify what my heart worships. It will purify our hearts, cut away sin.
Times of suffering will increase our hunger for God and help us to grow up. Those times teach us to trust Him more.
Difficult times also help us to understand God's sovereignty and His Lordship.
Ephesians 1:11 "we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,"

Here is an action plan, steps to take when you encounter a time of suffering.
1. Trust God's Lordship, His promises, and HIs Word.
Psalm 46:1-2
"God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change"
2. Seek His lesson. Ask, "Lord, what are you teaching me".
3. Seek His hand, knowing and believing that He is with you.
Isaiah 43:1-3
"Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
When you go through deep waters,I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God,
4. Take small steps forward, without fear, without condemnation.

No comments: