Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One Life Touched


Whenever I plan an event if any kind, I always feel that if one heart is touched, one life changed in any way, one person set free from any kind of bondage or healed from any hurt, then whatever work was involved was absolutely worth it. I don't believe that we have ever had an event that there was only one person touched. God is always faithful to work in more lives than just one.
Last weekend's retreat was no exception. I have heard many great reports of God working and speaking. One particular woman's story touched me so much I have to share it.
Casey is a sweet young woman who has Cerebral Palsy. She is not able to work or live independently. She has a wonderful family who love her very much and enjoy being with her, but she chooses to live in a group home where she has some independence but is taken care of. Casey always has a smile on her face. She loves children and enjoys being a part of Cottonwood. She is very quite. She is able to speak, but she has to work very hard to be understood, and it is often too hard for her. So, she listens quietly and we usually don't know what is going on inside of her. Casey came to the retreat this weekend and I could tell she was happy to be there.
On Monday, Arnita, who spoke at the retreat, showed her assistant Katy a picture frame with a note inside. The note, in the printing you would expect from a young child said this:

Dear Arnita,
You made me feel OK to be the way God created me.
Your Friend,
Casey

Was the retreat worth months of preparation, and a lot of work for a number of people? Was it worth Arnita driving 3 hours to speak? Was it worth whatever it took to pull it off?
For that one note, that one life to be so impacted, YES, IT WAS WORTH IT!!
I thank God that he used the retreat for one person be able to feel OK to be who she is.

"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well."

Psalm 139:13-14

2 comments:

Jeannine said...

Casey is a very special young woman, and the note she sent Arnita is as special as she is! Casey is such a blessing to those around her!

Unknown said...

Casey is an amazing young woman, She is full of joy and happiness. She loves kids very much and absolutley adores her niece Sarah. I enjoyed the time we spent together at the retreat. If you have not had the opportunity to meet Casey, you should. It will change your life!