Saturday, March 13, 2010

True Freedom that comes through Surrender

It has been a week since the retreat, but I am still thinking about the things Arnita shared. One thing I am thinking about is that in order to have a life of true freedom I have to live a life that is surrendered to God. As a Christian, I had a big moment of surrender when I gave my life to Him, but that is followed by day to day, moment to moment surrender.
What do you think of when I say "surrender". Usually we don't like it. We think of old movies where a man is surrounded and knows that he has no other alternative, so he waves a white flag and surrenders. It is the last thing he wants to do because it means defeat, and he knows that the price will be loss of freedom. It is the last thing he does when he has no hope of victory.
Surrender to God is just the opposite. Surrender is the only way to have freedom.
Real surrender is leaning into God and walking intimately with Him. Surrender is not the end, it is the beginning.
Jeremiah 29:11 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
There are several benefits to living a life surrendered to God.
1. Surrender will bring you an awareness of the presence of God, and the favor of God.
John 8:29 "And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him."
2. Surrender will bring you into your destiny.
Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
3. Surrender will bring you fulfillment, a feeling of satisfaction, and accomplishment.
John 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.
4. Surrender brings you to safety and a place of protection.
It is a paradox of the Christian life that the greater surrender in your life, the greater freedom you will have.
John 8:31-32 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, " If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:36 "So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeanette, that is awesome and such a great reminder. I cannot tell you how honored I was to be a part of that weekend. God was so good to so many, and I was so touched at just how warm and wonderful everyone was.

Thank you for letting me share that special time with you and your ladies.

Connie Swain