Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Still going strong


Carolyn Ross is an inspiration to everyone who knows her. She and her husband Gilbert spent 47 years living as missionaries in Mexico, where they poured out love and shared their life as well as the gospel with the people. They raised their five daughters there. Mexico was home to them until Gilbert began to have health issues and they moved into a little house they built next door to one of their daughters in Dublin. Eventually Gilbert had to go into a nursing home, where Carolyn visits him almost every day. After 47 years as a missionary, you might expect Carolyn to “retire”, but NO, she has such a heart to serve the Lord, she is still going strong.
Carolyn is one of my very closest friends, and she is one person I count on as advisor and supporter in Women’s Ministry. Although 78 years old, she is one of the first to sign up for any event; retreat, hike, Bible study, cooking meals, serving in any way. I told my daughter today that Carolyn has the biggest “yes” of anyone. Before I get the question out, she says, “Yes, I will,” with an absolute brilliant smile. She is at Bible study every week, as well as Monday lunches, and Wednesday night prayer meeting. Besides that, she teaches English as a Second Language at Cottonwood every Tuesday night, leads a Spanish speaking ladies Bible study, and helps teach a Spanish Sunday School class on Sunday mornings. She also serves as Secretary/Treasurer for the Dublin Sr. Citizens Center, and exercises there three mornings a week.
Carolyn is an absolute precious jewel and I am so grateful for her. You know what, besides all of that, she loves me. We spend a lot of time together, and she acts like she is the one being blessed! She is amazing.

3 comments:

thenewwittys said...

Thank you Jeannette, for posting this. I'm proud of my g-ma!

Belinda Letz said...

What a great story, what a very special lady. I am so blessed to have her as a friend.

Unknown said...

I keep telling her I want to be like her when I grow up. Thank you for posting this where even her far away grandchildren can read and know how special she is to others.