Thursday, January 10, 2013

Birthday Thoughts

Today is my birthday, a big one. I am 60. Whew, that is a little hard to say. Sixty sounds old. I used to think that 60 was old. I do not feel old. I am grateful. I am healthy. I enjoy life. I have too many blessings to even start naming right now.  Age doesn't really mean anything.
However, it does.
In a culture that idolizes youth, it is hard to be OK with growing older. It is hard to admit that I am crossing a line today, into the decade of retirement, the decade that for many people represents declining health and vigor.

These are verses that were in my devotional this morning.

I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. I THES. 5:23

Our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work. — Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. II Thes. 2:16,17. ‑I Cor. 1:8.


Those were encouraging to read. I know that, whatever my future is, that God has me in His hand, that God loves me, God is with me, God is for me. I have great hope for my future.

As I write that, I am reminded of Proverbs 31, the famous "virtuous woman" passage.
Prov 31:25
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.

The New Century Version puts it this way;  She looks forward to the future with joy

She is clothed with strength and dignity. Clothed, which means it is something put upon her, just as Paul said in Romans 13:14, to put on the Lord Jesus Christ, an idea he repeats many times. Virtue that is bestowed, and which we can choose to put on, not have to work up.

Strength-
oz (oze); strength in various applications (force, security, majesty, praise) - boldness, loud, might, power, strength, strong.

Dignity

hadar (haw-dawr'); magnificence, i.e. ornament or splendor: -beauty, comeliness, excellency, glorious, glory, goodly, honour, majesty.

Clothed with those virtues, she looks forward to the future without fear, but with laughter and smiles. Why not, a woman who loves the Lord, who trusts Him fully, is a woman with might, power, boldness, strength; and a woman with beauty, excellence, majesty. A woman who has the resources to face the future with laughter.

So, my thought for the day, this birthday, is that I will look forward to the next decade, with peace because I know who I belong to, and with joy because I know I can totally trust Him.





No comments: