Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year, One Resolution

It is Jan. 2, 2013. I love the start of a new year. It is a clean slate, time to start again, put the past behind us as well as we can, start fresh.
I know this is a common thought. Just look at the advertisements. Suddenly, the stores are featuring exercise equipment, and all weight loss programs are running specials. Advertisers know that people everywhere are starting new diets and exercise plans.

I have not usually been one to set goals or make resolutions. However, I like to know that this is the new year and I get a fresh start. There is something about my psyche that relates to that. Just about every morning, I thank God for a new day, a new start, and find myself thanking Him that His mercies are new every morning (Lam. 3). I enjoy every Sunday, thinking about the past week and planning the new one.
The start of the new year is the biggest fresh start.

So, the past few days, I have contemplated what I would resolve if I made resolutions. Looking at my prayer journal for 2012, I found that I prayed one thing more than any others. There are a lot of things that were repeated MANY times, prayers for my family, for friends, for healing, for salvation, for ministry...but one thing was repeated more than any others.

I asked God to speak to me. I asked Him to open my ears so that I could hear His voice.
For 2013, that is my request, and my resolution, to hear God speak to me.
Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me." (John 10)  Since He said that His sheep hear His voice, and I know that I am his sheep, then it is not presumptuous  to believe that He would speak to me, and that I would hear Him.

I need to hear Him for myself, so that I can truly live.

Isa 55:3
Incline your ear, and come to me;
 hear, that your soul may live;


I need to hear Him so that I have something to share with those who are weary.

Isa 50:4
 The Lord God has given me the tongue of those who are taught,
that I may know how to sustain with a word  him who is weary.
Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught.

I need to hear Him so that my faith will be strong.

Rom 10:17
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

So, my one resolution this year is to be quite and listen more, because I want to hear HIS voice.



No comments: