Saturday, March 16, 2013

What has God put in your heart?

In the book of Nehemiah, we see a man who was willing to leave a life of comfort and luxury to pursue a dream that God had put in his heart. He left a palace in Persia to go to Jerusalem to rebuild the broken down walls and the temple that was in ruins. It would be difficult, with much opposition, but he knew that God had put it in his heart. God provided everything he needed to do the work, gave him the strength and determination to do it.

In 1 Chronicles 17, David had it on his heart to build a temple for God. He said that it was not right that he lived in a cedar palace while God's dwelling was a tent.
God told him that he was not the one to build the temple, that his son would do that. David was a man of war, called by God to lead the nation of Israel to be free of the subjugation of other nations they were under. God said that because he was a man of war and had shed much blood, he was not the man to build the temple. He would have a son who would be king during a time of peace, and he would build the temple. God was not punishing David. David did not do anything wrong, and he was not lacking in skills or character. He simply was not the man God called to build. David did gather the materials. He set aside gold, silver, jewels from his treasury to be used for the temple, and he sent workers to bring timber. Before his death, David gathered everything Solomon would need to build a magnificent temple.

These two situations have been in my mind today. There are times when I have something on my heart, and God says, "Go ahead. I am with you, do what you are feeling." But there are times when I feel very burdened in my heart, but there does not seem any way to do it.

I have in my heart to see the world come to Christ, but God has not opened a way for me to serve long term in an international ministry. I have in my heart to minister to orphans, and to the very poor women and children in the poorest nations, but God has not sent me there, either. I also have in my heart to fight slavery, and be an advocate for women caught in sex trade, both here and abroad. I have not been able to be involved in those issues, either.

I don't want to feel guilty or lazy for not doing everything that is in my heart. I can, like David, help provide resources for those God has called to do the ministry. I can pray for them, and provide spiritual and emotional support for them.

On the other hand, there are things that are on my heart that God is saying yes to. God has put it in my heart to use creative ways to reach out to the community where I live, to share the love of Christ. I always have that in mind, looking for opportunities, and trying. God has put it in my heart to encourage women to live an abundant life of freedom, pursuing a wildly passionate relationship with Jesus. That is a dream that I am giving my life to.

I want to pursue with abandon those things that God says YES to. And, I want to be content to be a behind the scenes support when God says, not yet.

May God help me to know the difference!

No comments: