Sunday, February 19, 2012

Simplify

I am ALWAYS convicted about my lifestyle. Very Ameican, very middle class. I mean, I am not extravagant by American standards, but I am very aware that most people in the world would be amazed by the niceties that I have.
To support my point, consider that any family who makes $35000 per year is in the wealthiest 4% of the world population, and a family making 50,000 is in the wealthiest 1%. Most of the people in the world live on less than $2 per day! The statistics are staggering. Yes, we give to our church, we support missionaries, and we sponsor children through World Vision, but that does not impact our lifestyle.
I started a new book yesterday, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, by Jen Hatmaker. I am once again inspired to do something about the excess in my life. I prayed about what God would want me to do, and decided that I would have a spending freeze, for a month, staritng soon. Then I read my daughter Emily's blog about lent (Faithhopeandartblogspot.com), and decided, perfect. Lent starts this Wednesday, and lasts 40 days, until Easter. The idea behind observing Lent is to sacrifice something in order to have more appreciation for the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. How appropriate
So, I will start Wednesday. My plan is to buy nothing but food, and only basic food needed for sustaining life, no cookies or chips or other goodies. I do have to eat out sometimes, for lunch appointments. Thats ok. I will order the most simple and cheap thing available.
This doesn't sound hard. BUT, I was planning on doing some shopping this week. Bealls has a sale that starts Wednesday; all clearance items will be an extra 30% off, and I have a coupon to take another 20% off, so the things will be almost free. And, I am pretty sure I will be out is mascara in another week. Also shampoo, but shampoo may be an essential, I'm not sure about that yet.
Also, we will have my family here for Easter. I can't buy any new plants or anything else to spruce up the house for my extended family. And our Ladies retreat is March 2-3. I was considering buying some pjs, since I haven't bought any in years and mine are a little ragged looking. See, I haven't started yet, and I am already wincing. I am NOT going shopping tomorrow or Tuesday just to sneak in some things. I am serious about this. I want to experience the discipline. I bet that before Easter I will hear about a need that the extra money I saved will be useful for.
I will let you know how I am doing.

1 comment:

Kristine Koder said...

I am also about to start to simplify my eating but my challenge will be for 90 days- to replace two meals a day with Visalus shakes. A friend posted "It is better to experience the cultivation of discipline than to experience regret."