Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Spending Freeze: New Rules and Some Concerns

So, tomorrow, I start my 40 day, Lent Spending freeze.
I am excited about it. I did not go out and stock up on things I might need or want. I have decided that shampoo is a necessity, so I will buy some when I need to. My husband tried to tell me I should buy mascara, pointing out that Jesus told his disciples that when they fast, they are to clean up and look good. I told him not to lecture me, it's my game! So shampoo is necessary, but mascara is not.
But, what if my hair dryer breaks? I think that is not a necessity, but I sure would hate to do without it. I haven't thought of any other really important things I might need yet.
Today, I noticed that our welcome mat is in bad shape. It is ragged, and the "Welcome" is very faded. We had planned to get a new one, but forgot, so now it will have to wait until after Easter.
Another thing, we are going to eat the food we have on hand before buying groceries. We don't have a freezer or extra food storage anywhere. I have a lot of kitchen cabinets, but most of them have dishes in them. I confess, I have a lot of dishes. I never know when I might need to have a formal dinner party for 60, right?
However, I have amazed my family by how much food I can cram into the freezer part of my fridge. I am looking forward to finding out what is in all the little plastic tubs that I froze assorted leftovers in. It should make some interesting meals!

No comments: