Friday, April 13, 2012

Spending Freeze Report-I didnt fail, but I didn't suffer

The spending freeze I committed to for Lent (see post of Feb. 19) is over. I did it, I didn't buy new clothes, I didn't buy junk food, I didn't buy spring flowers, but I certainly didn't suffer! Here is a report of how it went.
First, Les said he was not on a spending freeze. So, when he wanted cookies or chips he bought them. I may have eaten a few of his goodies.
I never bought shampoo because I had some little hotel size shampoos I used. I used my just about empty mascarras until two weeks ago when a friend broughtmea new tube. (I didn't ask for it, I promise). The first time I opens the new tube, I was shocked at the great amount of mascarras on the brush. It kind of freaked me out, it was so thick and gooey!
We had all the grandchildren for a few days during spring break and while I was making ice cream from frozen bananas in the food processor, the thing broke! Quit running, and not repairable. I said, fine, I can live without it. However, the next week inWalmart, I saw a food processor on the clearance rack, with a sign that said 50% off the clearance price...a high quality Oster machine for $27! I contemplated the situation and decided that spending $27 now was wiser than spending $70 later, so I bought it. Remember, my game, my rules!
Another breakage was my make up mirror. I have a little vanity nook in a closet, so a lighted mirror is rather important. I have no idea how old the a aforementioned mirror is was, I have  had it that long. Not a necessity, and I didn't run into a deal I couldn't pass up.
I did buy a few things for the grandchildren for Easter. The Gateway Church children's choir released a brand new CD, so I bought one for each family set, and a few small Easter egg things. And, one day when Lexi was here, I gave her the dress I had just finished for her (made from fabric I had on hand) she was so sweet; excited about it, tried it on, wore it around the house, thanked me. I knew that the blue and green pastel floral was NOT her style at all, and I told her tha it will make another one with bright pink fabric. Later, when she asked about the pink fabric, I told her I would take her shopping to pick some out. It wasn't u til we were AT Walmart that I remembered the spending freeze. I swear that's the truth. No way was I going to tell a seven year old that I couldn't spend $5 on fabric for her at that point.
So, altogether, with the blender, Easter gifts, and Lexi's fabric, I spent $52. during the six weeks.
Now, about the new dress. My husband went to Bealls on Saturday while I was running an errand and ought me a dress. I promise, promise, promise I had not whined or co planned about not having a new dress for Easter. I did not need or even want anything. But, he had seen some dresses in a catalogue that were very retro, looked like something Audrey Hepburn would have worn, styles from the early 60's. He really liked them. He went to Bealls on Saturday and bought me a beautiful dress, then went back when he found out I didn't haves white purse, becaus he felt that that was needed to complete the look.
I know, that was a little like cheating, buti really had nothing todo with it. I did, however enjoy wearing that dress on Sunday.
So, what did I gain from my experience?
A sense of freedom. When a thought came to mind about buying some item for the house, or when I got a sale flyer or coupon in the mail, I didn't have to consider if I could afford to send the money, if I really needed it, if it would be selfish or extravagant. I just said to myself, "spending freeze" and it as over. No battle.
I also saved a lot of time. I'd didn't stop by Bealls or JC Penney just to see the new spring clothes, or go to Burkes Outlet to check out the bargains. When I went to Walmart for necessities I didnt walk through the linens or clothes just to look.
I felt disciplined. Not buying anything for myself felt good.
Today is Friday. I have not been shopping. No flowers for the yard, no spring sandals, not even a new make-up mirror. So, the experiement was a success.

2 comments:

Belinda Koestle said...

Les did a good job. You looked gorgeous in your Easter Outfit Sunday. I just had to laugh because attached to the bottom of your blog was a 25% off Coupon to Bealls.

His Will Not Mine said...

Proud of you, Jeanette. I did a fast from spending money or going any place. It was awesome. When I read your blog, I miss Cottonwood. I started blogging again. I talked to Marilea and she told me about 1000 things to be thankful for. I started a thankful blog. Give everyone a hug from me. I am asking God to bless you and keep you. Love, Mary Kay