Thursday, January 7, 2010

God's Amazing, Astounding, Ridiculous, Crazy Love



Last night, I was thinking about God's love for us. God's love for me does not make sense. I considered the people that I love, asked myself why do I love them. For the most part, the people I love are pretty lovable, easy to love. I love my children, but they are wonderful women and very lovable. But, I remember that I loved them before they became wonderful women. I loved them the minute they were born, because I gave birth to them.

I have 8 grandchildren that I love. My love for them is exactly like the love I have for my own children. It is amazing how that works. I would say that I love those grandchildren because my own children gave birth to them, but four of the grandchildren are adopted. That made me think that it seems that adoption is the best picture of God's love for us. He loves us because He chose to love us.

The first grandchild to be adopted was Abby. When Mike and Libby went to Korea to pick her up, Abby had not done anything to cause them to love her and want her. I was thinking, what if Mike and Libby went to the agency in Korea and said, "What will Abby be able to do for us; clean house, mow the lawn, cook dinner? Will she be useful?" No "Well, will she entertain us? Can she sing or play the piano?" No. Abby cannot do anything for you. You will have to do everything for her. You will change her diapers, feed her, bathe her, carry her, provide everything she needs. She does not offer you anything. Mike and Libby knew that. They did not expect Abby to do anything for them. They wanted to love her and take care of her. They chose her.

I will never forget the night that I met Abby. All the family and many friends were at the airport to meet her. In those days, we could be at the gate when the planes arrived. We watched anxiously as the plane emptied. Finally, they came out. After Abby's 5 year old brother held her, Libby brought her and put her in my arms. I instantly fell in love. Why? I cannot explain it. I don't love all babies like that. All babies are cute and all, but I don't have that instant love for other babies, only the ones that are MINE. I had the same experience with the other three grand babies that are adopted; instant, unreasonable, fierce, ridiculous love. The love we have for these children is not reasonable, it does not really make sense. That is why it is such a great picture of God's love.

The Bible clearly says that we are born of God. We become His children by birth when we are "born again." The Bible also says that we have been adopted by God. How great that He uses both terms. That is only possible with God, to be both born and adopted into the same family. God loves us because He chose to love us. Before I was even born, He chose me, He wanted me, He LOVED me. I had nothing to offer Him. He would have to do it all, and He chose to.

No comments: