Friday, January 1, 2010

My Life as a Story

On Thursday, I finished the book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller. Donald sets out to find out what makes a good story for a movie or a book, and in the process, realizes that his own life is not a good story. He decides to make changes so that his life will be a better story. I want my life to be a better story, a story that means something, a story that is interesting and inspiring. God has written a story for each one of us. I want to follow the script that God has written for my life. Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."
I know that God would not write a story for me that is boring or meaningless. He has a story for my life that is worth living. What would keep me from living out the story God has for me? Mostly fear. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of losing something, fear of making a mistake, fear of what people will think. Fear will rob us of the life that God has for us. Jesus said that He came to give us abundant life. God has plans for us, and those plans include an abundant life.
One of the points of the book is that a good movie will have memorable scenes. That made me think of the movies that I love. When I think of a special movie, I remember a small scene, a special look, a funny line. It is often little scenes that make a movie really special. It is not just the epic film like "Gone with the Wind" that is a good movie. I love little movies like "Juno". A movie with a special story, filled with common people living a normal life. That is encouraging. It is not just the big events like moving to another country, or taking an international mission trip that make a life story special. I have read a quote from Mother Teresa several times recently, "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love." God gives us opportunities to do those small things every day.
God is the great writer. To live an extraordinary life, I just need to listen to His voice and follow what He says, without worrying that it is too small or too large, too strange too common. God is creative, and He sometimes does the unexpected. Remember, when the Messiah came, His first miracle was to turn water into wine. Certainly, that was not expected.

No comments: