Monday, January 11, 2010

Little Things

"Don't look for big things, just do small things with great love...Mother Teresa

I have read that quote many times lately. I love what she said, and I find that very encouraging. So many times, Christians are waiting for and watching for the next "big thing". We need to value the small things that we all can do every day.
I want to spend a part of my day considering the question,"How can I be the hands and feet of Jesus today?" I know that He gives us multiple opportunities to minister to the people around us, but we often are not aware. We have to take our mind off of ourselves and look around to see the needs of the people, then take the responsibility to meet the need if we can.
Last week, I met with some Cottonwood women who live in and around DeLeon. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the needs of some of the people in DeLeon and how we can minister to those people. The focus ended up on three women, two are widows and all three have a lot of unmet needs. One of the widows recently lost her mother. Her mother died in Mexico on Dec.22, and she was not able to go to the funeral. The women decided to hold a small memorial service so that this woman could have some closure and celebrate the life of her mother.
Another idea was to have a "Spa Day" for the three ladies, where we would cut and style their hair, do manicures and pedicures; just make them feel special and loved. Aren't those great ideas? We decided to start with those three women, and go from there. I am excited to see what happens. I will let you all know.
Let's all ask ourselves that question, "What are some needs that I see around me and how can I help with them", and then,"How can I reach my community with the gospel of Jesus"?

No comments: