Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiti Response

Right now, I am watching the Haiti earthquake coverage on CNN. I have had the TV on CNN almost all the time I am at home since Tuesday night. I am disappointed that Fox News Network has barely spoken of it, and the networks only seem to show it on the regular news. It seems that not many people have shown a lot of interest in this disaster. I was hurt and angry when I heard what Pat Roberson said about Haiti being under a curse caused by their ancestors. Rush Limbaugh suggested that we don't need to give to charitable organizations to help because we have given through our taxes. That disgusts me.
As I said on an earlier post, my response is greater than it would have been because our daughter was just in Haiti, but, still, should our response not be great to this huge disaster? I have watched as rescuers pulled out an 11 year old girl who had been trapped in rubble for 48 hours, who later died because of her injuries. Right now, CNN is showing scenes from her funeral, a little girl who sang in her church choir and wanted to be a lawyer someday.
I also saw a 17 month old baby girl pulled out of rubble after 3 days trapped among dead adults. When a reporter asked a relative how the baby could survive like that, she said, "It is God, only God." A woman was trapped in a market for 50 hours before being rescued. She told the reporter that she was not scared at all because she knew that God would save her. When asked how she got through it, she said, "I never stopped praying." The people of Haiti have amazed me by their faith. In the midst of the horror, surrounded by dead bodies, with very little food or water, no place to sleep, groups of people are praying and singing. I believe that God is being glorified by His people in Haiti. I hope that God is glorified by the response of His people in America.

1 comment:

Psalm139verse14 said...

You said it Mom! There are many many dedicated Christians in Haiti. I wonder how many of American Christians would be able to endure the horror these people have endured and give God the praise and glory????