Saturday, January 23, 2010

God's Grace Lived Out

I had a conversation on facebook with a good friend today. Some reading know her. My friend Kim is under 40 years old, and suffers from a degenerative nerve disease. As the disease has progressed, she is not able to use her left hand or arm, and cannot walk or stand. She has severe pain in her arm, and her left foot and leg. I was very moved by what she wrote to me today and I asked if I could share a part of her letter, which she gave me permission to do. Here are my friends words.

It has been hard and the more it spreads the harder it gets. I have not lost my faith, I have not lost my intimate relationship with my Father and I have not lost my spirit. We all know that God heals, we talk about it daily, in Church and amongst our church friends and even just our friends outside the church. And I have said that God has healed me. and He has. Maybe not where I am walking, or with all my pain. But, the Lord has healed. He healed me just long enough for me to go to China and love on the Bishops (missionaries there) and for me to leave there with an even more compassionate heart. Which very well can be utilized here instead of there. I am not even going to try and figure where God plans to put me....that is way bigger than any thought I can imagine. I can say, that through prayer and the Word . as of right now God is not going to heal me, I don't know if this means I will never walk or if it means It will even go into my right hand and then it really will be full blown body RSD. I do think that this disease with me and the things with (her daughter)Amanda are so much very connected. I also know that I am not a prophet nor do I have this gift, but I do know that the Lord will be glorified through ALL of this.
And, yes... I am walking through this disease with God right beside me and I am pressing into Him! I am very scared at times and pray that I won't have to move in with someone. If I have to, that will be because I will need to obey God on something. I hurt more than I can ever imagine and this pain is so so super bad and no not all the meds stop this pain. The swelling has become so bad that I don't even quite understand it and I have been counting the days down from the beginning of my left foot hurting and then it taking that leg, to my right leg becoming useless and and just seeing when it gets closer to that time,if my right hand gets it.
I just want the chance to hold baby Peighton (her first grandchild due in February) one time before that happens.

I speak to Kim every few days, and try to see her every week. She is in constant pain, and unable to walk or do simple things for herself. She is honest about her condition, but does not complain. She is not able to get out of her house often, but she uses emails and facebook to encourage and uplift other people. Her faith and hope amaze me. I just wanted to share a little of her story with whoever may read this.

No comments: